The Clayton Windmills, known locally as Jack and Jill, stand on the South Downs above the village of Clayton in West Sussex, seven miles north of Brighton. Duncton Mill was built in 1765, and only the roundhouse remains. Jack Windmill is a five storey tower mill built in 1866 to replace Duncton and is currently being restored by local millwrights E. Hole and Sons, assisted by volunteers from the Jill Windmill Society. Jack's pair, Jill, is still a working mill and open to the public on Sundays. All three buildings are Grade II* listed buildings.
The golf writer and broadcaster Henry Longhurst bought the windmills in 1953. He initially lived in Jack Windmill itself, and then in a house built for him by the architect Peter Farley, who also designed Brighton Marina, in 1963.
The present owners have lived at the windmill since 2012. The Mill House and Granary were built for them by architect Sarah Featherstone of Featherstone Young in 2016. The Granary retains the historical beams and original footprint of the 18th century granary, while the Mill House is a reconfiguration of Henry Longhurst's house. Together, the buildings connect Jack and Jill windmills on a straight axis, opening up views throughout the site.